The South Island Lick Tour fits all the highlights into 7 days. This small group guided New Zealand holiday helps you explore the largest NZ island in a week
Prepare for seven days of spectacular scenery and lots of opportunity for adventure with this New Zealand South Island holiday package. Turquoise lakes, majestic glaciers, dramatic mountain peaks, golden tussock lands and the picture-perfect towns of Queenstown, Wanaka and Franz Josef are all on our week-long road trip!
This small group guided New Zealand holiday in the South Island will visit Christchurch, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), Franz Josef Glacier, and back across to Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass onboard the world-famous TranzAlpine train. You’ll have the option to visit Milford Sound, and we’ll stop at many other scenic spots along this South Island itinerary.
There’s a range of optional add-on activities: from adrenaline-pumping bucket-list items like bungee jumping, jet boating, and skydiving to more gentle activities like heli-hiking (okay for all abilities), quad biking, kayaking, scenic flights and hiking. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your New Zealand South Island tour, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
South Island Lick Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can\’t always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As this small group guided New Zealand holiday starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Christchurch with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The South Island Lick Tour price includes dorm share accommodation (4–6 share) but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online
Plan for this small group guided New Zealand holiday:
Christchurch to MacKenzie country
- We'll visit some Christchurch highlights before heading to the big mountains and big skies of MacKenzie country -- stopping to admire the shimmering turquoise lake at Tekapo.
MacKenzie country to Queenstown
- We'll take the scenic route stopping by Kawarau - the home of bungy - before making our way to Queenstown where all sorts of adventure waits on this South Island Lick Tour!
- You couldn't ask for a more scenic spot to work on that bucket-list! Take an extreme jet-boat ride, a 4WD safari through LOTR country, or visit Milford Sound.
Queenstown to Wanaka
- We'll cross the mountains from Queenstown, stop by a giant gold-mining village and explore wondrous Wanaka - considered to be one of New Zealand's most beautiful mountain towns.
Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Will you take an acrobatic flight over Lake Wanaka, go for a hike or just enjoy the views? We'll cross Haast Pass on our way to the West Coast glaciers.
- Today you'll get to carve your own greenstone pendant and you can choose to take a helicopter to Franz Josef Glacier for a hike on blue ice.
Franz Josef to Christchurch
- We'll road trip up the spectacular west coast stopping for some souvenirs, and then take the world-famous TranzAlpine train back to Christchurch to make our farewells.