What’s the difference between the North & South Islands? Find out on the Legendary NZ Tour! This multi activity New Zealand adventure holiday visit all the top spots
During this Legendary NZ Tour we’ll visit all the highlights. From secluded beaches to glacier-fed lakes, Māori villages to mountain ranges and lush rainforests to volcanic springs plus more adventure activities than you can imagine!
The North Island is filled with surprising contrasts: from the idyllic Coromandel where you can soak in a hot pool dug in the sand, venture through a geothermal wonderland of geysers, take a side-trip to Middle Earth-esque countryside, have underground adventures in caves lit by glow worms, and admire lush rainforests and even a volcanic desert – you’ll be amazed by it all.
But wait! There’s still the South Island to explore! Sailing between islands, you’ll get a grand entrance into this magnificent part of the world where you’ll get to enjoy marine wildlife, an epic adventure playground, visit the home of bungy, traverse mighty mountain passes, explore glacier country and then forge golden memories in the Abel Tasman area.
This small-group guided multi activity New Zealand adventure holiday covers three weeks of adventure across the North and South Islands, visiting the Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, Wellington, Kaikōura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), Abel Tasman National Park, Punakaiki and Franz Josef Glacier, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo, The Tongariro Crossing and Milford Sound along the way.
As with all our tours, we do include a few ‘must-do’ events across this New Zealand three week itinerary, ranging from a Māori cultural night to learning to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe), and even a greenstone carving experience.
You’ ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add, from bungy jumping and dolphin swimming to jet boating and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your tour, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
Legendary NZ Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can\’t always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The price for this multi activity New Zealand adventure holiday includes dorm share accommodation (4–6 share) but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online.
Please note: private room upgrades are not available for one night on this tour: the cultural experience at Kohutapu Lodge in Murupara.
Itinerary for multi activity New Zealand adventure holiday
Auckland to Coromandel
- Let's start as we mean to go on: with epic scenery on the way to even more epic destinations! Tonight we soak in the beachy lifestyle of the Coromandel.
Coromandel to Rotorua
- Explore Cathedral Cove by foot or by kayak (look for dolphins!), then we'll wend our way to the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua via Matamata AKA Hobbiton.
- Today is a free day to explore Rotorua's geothermal wonders, or you can cross of some bucket-list activities like skydiving or rolling down a hill in a giant inflatable ball!
Rotorua to Murupara
- During the legendary NZ Tour you will discover why Rotorua is so unique to the world with its geothermal wonders and Maori culture, before our visit to a living Maori village.
Murupara to Taupo
- Taupo is ours for the day! Skydive over the great lake, sail on it and view the famous rock carving, or touch a river's surface from a bungy leap.
- Today you can take a guided walk of the Tongariro Crossing, relax in a thermal hot spring or tick off some more bucket-list items like sky-diving.
Taupo to Wellington
- We'll drive across a volcanic plateau and head to Wellington where film buffs can make a pilgrimage to Weta Workshop, and everyone will savour great food & drinks.
Wellington to Kaikoura
- We'll explore New Zealand's capital city - famed for its coffee and infamous for its wind - before taking a scenic ferry journey to the South Island.
Kaikoura to Christchurch
- This coast is teeming with marine wildlife! Take the opportunity to swim with the wold's most playful dolphins, or go on a whale watching encounter before we venture to Christchurch.
Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- We check out creative Christchurch before admiring the turquoise lake and majestic mountains of Tekapo and staying the night beneath the stars of an International Dark Sky Reserve.
MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- After a quick hike up a small mountain to admire the Southern Alps, we'll visit the home of bungy before making our way to action-packed Queenstown.
- Today's the day the legendary NZ tour will amp up the adrenaline! Try bungy-jumping or canyon swinging, take the Shotover Jet Boat ride, or take a day trip to Milford Sound.
Queenstown to Wanaka
- Blessed with towering peaks and a glacial blue lake, you'll soon see why Wanaka's considered to be one of New Zealand's most beautiful mountain towns.
Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Will you take an acrobatic flight over Lake Wanaka or just chill and enjoy the panoramic views? We'll cross Haast Pass on our way to the West Coast.
- Today we'll carve our own greenstone pendants and you'll have the opportunity to take a helicopter to Franz Josef Glacier for a hike on blue ice.
Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Behold incredible coastal vistas as we road trip up the West Coast passing through some old gold mining towns. Unplug and watch the sun set over the ocean on this day of your multi activity New Zealand adventure holiday.
- Wake to a chorus of birdsong. Today we'll see a giant stack of (rock) pancakes and some impressive blowholes - watch out for that spray!
Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- On the way to Abel Tasman National Park, we'll see epic coastline giving way to rivers and gorges before we reach our next idyllic hideaway.
- It's a dreamscape, but it's your reality today. Go kayaking or take a short hike to discover seal colonies, little blue penguins, bottlenose dolphins and secluded beaches.
Abel Tasman to Wellington
- We'll learn to paddle a Maori war canoe before heading to Picton via a stop at a vineyard - Cheers! We'll take the evening ferry to Wellington.