The Lake District Via Ferrata experience near Keswick with Honister is the only Via Ferrata in Cumbria. Choose the Classic or Xtreme route to suit your level.
Via Ferrata is the Italian for iron path. They are routes in the mountains that offer safe access via metal steps, ladders and bridges all made safe with cable attachments. It means inexperienced climbers can access incredible mountain areas in a safe and extremely enjoyable way!
The Lake District Via Ferrata experience near Keswick at Honister Slate Mine is the only Via Ferrata in Cumbria and it is an expereince never to forget. There are two routes to choose from Via Ferrata Xtreme and Classic.
Both are incredible experienced but Via Ferrata Xtreme was introduced at Honister in 2012 to bring a much more challenging (and some say scary) experience. You do need to be reasonably fit and healthy for the Xtreme. Expect much more mountain edge exposure, vertical climbs, cliff edge ladders, plus a Burma Bridge & Cargo Net crossing.
Scramble up the huge Cargo Net to reach one of the best on Fleetwith Pike and one of the finest views the Lake District has to offer. Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater, perfectly framed by Alfred Wainwright’s favourite Fells, roll out before your very eyes (Weather dependent).
Via Ferrata Classic is £40 per person and the Via Ferrata Xtreme is £45 per person.
Please note, arrival time must be 30 minutes in advance of the time you have booked, failure to do so will result in participation forfeit. Honister will not reimburse customers for any consequential losses or expenses.
Due to Covid19 procedures we are running on stricter timings than normal. You must be fit, active and confident about the challenge. If you are a little unsure if our Via Ferrata Xtreme is for you then we would recommend coming to visit us at a later date when our timings are more relaxed.
Key Information for Lake District Via Ferrata experience near Keswick with Honister:
* Please note – masks must be worn inside our building and on all buses when travelling to the start of activities.
* Minimum age 10 years Minimum height 1m 30cm – All Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
* Winner of the “Cumbria Tourism 2014″ Award
* Winner of the National “ Enjoy England Experience of the Year 2012 “ Award
* 9x higher than Blackpool’s `The Big One` & 7x higher than Big Ben and 2x higher than ‘The Shard’ in London
* Full professionally Guided ascent, secured to the Mountain by cable. See the best view in The Lake District!
* Please come prepared for all weather conditions with waterproofs, gloves and strong footwear. All essential equipment will be provided by Honister on arrival.
* Duration: approximately 3 – 3.5 hours
* Very environmentally friendly. See totally unique Flora and Fauna safely on this “Site of Special Scientific Interest” (SSSI).