A full day ride exploring the enchantment of the unique countryside New Zealand has to offer.
A full day ride exploring the enchantment of the unique countryside this part of the world has to offer.
River Valley Stables operates at some of the highest elevations of any trekking operation in New Zealand; consequently, weather conditions can change quickly. This can alter our choice of trails used on any given day.
If the weather is looking okay, then the ride will be to the top of Pukeokahu (1000 metres above sea level), what we call a hill, but many would call a mountain. Many of the trails are steep; however, the views from the top are incredible – you will just have to take our word for it and check them out yourself!
The top of Pukeokahu is an excellent place for your lunch stop on a lovely summers day.
You need to be comfortable in the saddle at all gaits over all-terrain to really enjoy this ride.
Group size will be small, and you will need to be a competent rider. River Valley Stables guides will take special care to match you with a horse that you will enjoy. Before the ride, you will be given instruction to feel competent riding freestyle and understanding our Natural Horsemanship techniques.
Plan for full day New Zealand horse riding experience
- Our treks depart daily, at either 10am
- Arrive and check in at River Valley Lodge before your trek.
- Then, head to the stables where you will get kitted out with a helmet, chaps and boots, and meet your horse.
- Spend some time in the yard and the paddock at the stables, where your guide will teach you how we use natural horsemanship techniques and ride our horses freestyle with a rope halter.
- Once have built a bond with your horse, you will head off into the hills for a ride. If you are feeling confident there will be opportunities to canter. We ride through private farm land, which features some beautiful scenery that not many people get to see.
-A picnic lunch is included on the ride.
- Arrive back at the stables around 3pm.