AWE365 helps you save money on action sports, outdoor activities and adventure travel 365 days a year. We don’t take commission on bookings and we won’t inflate prices to make them appear ‘discounted’. Simply put if you like action, adventure travel and the great outdoors then join the AWE365 Club and you will save money.
It is at this stage in an ‘about us’ where we tell you how awesome we are. How we live and breath action sports, that we are constantly flitting from one adventurous location to another, following our passions and living life on the edge. We wish!
The truth is a little less exciting but more realistic. Although we probably do more adventure sports than most – after all it is part of the job – the reality is that running a business takes a lot of time. So like many people we spend most of the time sat at a computer, writing, coding, selling advertising and promoting our content on social media.
We do get to hit the trails by bike and boot, enjoy the mountain on a board or in a harness and even dunk our feet in the ocean when the surfs up or the wind is blowing. So we understand how getting your next snowboarding, scuba diving, surfing or skydiving fix can be tough to fit into a busy schedule and even tougher to afford.
Which is why we have set up the AWE365 Club. It is to help people like us save money across a vast range of action sports, outdoor activies and adventure travel products. And to provide impartial information to help you save time when planning your next trip.
We decided on the name AWE365 because of the meaning – not because most short catchy website names were already taken – so what does AWE365 mean?
‘Awe’ is an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear or amazement produced by something incredible, sublime or extremely powerful.
‘365’ is the number of days a year. It represents commitment, passion and doing something every day throughout the year.
Combine the two and AWE365 means having the passion to experience something incredible every day. It represents the feeling of reaching the top of a mountain, landing a new trick, doing something dangerous, being somewhere new, or being confronted with the extreme power of nature as often as possible.
There is also an additional meaning, as the letters of AWE represent Air, Water and Earth – the essential ingredients for outdoor action and adventure. Without air and the wind that blows, water in it’s many forms and earth with it’s ups and downs adventure sports would be pretty dull. So we are pleased to represent these elements in our name and logo.
What are AWE365’s principles?
We thought long and hard about how we want to run a business, and how we like to be treated by businesses. In thinking hard we have come up with 10 commandments (has this been done before?):
- Thou shout not – unlike many sites we are not going to spend time telling you how awesome we are….
- Instead we will focus on telling you about activities and adventures and finding ways to save you money.
- Anything we write/publish will be our own opinion, if we think something is shit we will tell you – regardless of advertising spend.
- We will not take commission on any bookings you make through AWE365. Meaning you get the biggest discount possible.
- Prices will not be inflated to look like they are discounted (we are not selling sofas).
- If we make a factual error in an article we won’t get upset if you point it out to us, in fact we welcome the feedback so we can improve.
- We will not pretend to know about things we know nothing about, instead we use freelance writers that know (or pretended well enough to hoodwink us) what they are talking about.
- Thou shalt not covet thy riding partner’s skills. This is about respect up and down the adventure sport food-chain as beginners are just as important to us as seasoned experts.
- Where possible to be green and sustainable, but not to kid ourselves (or you) that we are completely eco-friendly.
- Get outside and doing adventure sports whenever possible.
Who runs and owns AWE365?
AWE365 is owned and run by Luke and Nathan. We are two fairly ordinary guys in our late 30s. We have families, we have mortgages and we have a burning passion to get out there and do the sports we love.
Do we do all the adventure sports we cover? Of course not. If we had time to do them all we wouldn’t see our families and we certainly wouldn’t have time to run the business. But we do enough of them to know the pang of disappointment when the season ends, surf’s not up, the wind does not blow or unforeseen circumstances curtail an adventure.
What is the goal of AWE365?
AWE365 is a small business and we don’t aim to be the next .com billionaires. That is not to say we are not ambitious, just that our ambitions are more to do with lifestyle and experience rather than being stinking rich.
Being part of the adventure sports industry and not doing the sports is against our principles. So we aim to take time out to do the sports we love and have the flexibility to do so when the conditions are right.
History of AWE365
Until June 2015 AWE365 was a network of 18 adventure sport websites. We decided to merge them when a survey of our customers showed most would rather visit one site for all the sports they do rather than multiple sites.
Most of the sites had been running for a decade so we have plenty of history behind us and you probably recognise a few of the sites:
We hope you enjoy reading our articles, find the information we provide of use, and of course save plenty of money. See you on the (delete as appropriate) mountain / wave / trail / face / dropzone / piste / water!